Schools’ duties around accessibility for disabled pupils Schools and Local Authorities (LAs) need to carry out accessibility planning for disabled pupils. These duties are the same as previously existed under the Disability Discrimination Act and have been replicated in the Equality Act 2010.
Part 5A of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (DDA) requires the governing body to:
- Promote equality of opportunity for all disabled people, adults and children,
- who use or may wish to use the school and prepare and publish a Disability
- Equality Scheme to show how they will meet these duties.
- This Accessibility Plan (AP) and the accompanying action plan forms a part of the
- Disability Equality Scheme (DES) and sets out how the governing body will improve
- Equality of opportunity for disabled people.